Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Import of SolidWorks file .sldprt to COMSOL 4.0a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have recieved some Solidworks files(.sldprt.) that I want to work with in COMSOL 4.0a. I have some problems opening them, though. After I have given the path of the file and press import I get the message:
"Internal error translating CAD model. File version is not supported"

As far as I know, I have the CAD import module which is supposed to support the .sldprt files.
What could the problem be?

/Daniel

6 Replies Last Post 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 09:49
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月19日 GMT-4 04:57
Hello

it could be due to solidworks versions too, SW changes their format for each release (this makes life difficult even for us having the full CAD verson as SW is not downwards compatible, only "upwards"). I usually use the Parasolid .x_t format as this one evolves less and there are less version compatibility issues. From SolidWorks you can easily generate Parasolid files with a save as, aqt part or assembly level.

Note this is only for 3D files, 2D is limited and prt files are full 3D.

You need the CAD or livelink module to import these files. The main intereest with live-link is to run SolidWorks AND COMSOL together and have COMSOL update the geometry to search for shape optimisations. If you do not do such links (or do not have a powerfull enough PC to have both open simultaneously, then using simple file transfer works very well (witout the linked shape optimisation though)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello it could be due to solidworks versions too, SW changes their format for each release (this makes life difficult even for us having the full CAD verson as SW is not downwards compatible, only "upwards"). I usually use the Parasolid .x_t format as this one evolves less and there are less version compatibility issues. From SolidWorks you can easily generate Parasolid files with a save as, aqt part or assembly level. Note this is only for 3D files, 2D is limited and prt files are full 3D. You need the CAD or livelink module to import these files. The main intereest with live-link is to run SolidWorks AND COMSOL together and have COMSOL update the geometry to search for shape optimisations. If you do not do such links (or do not have a powerfull enough PC to have both open simultaneously, then using simple file transfer works very well (witout the linked shape optimisation though) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月19日 GMT-4 14:46
Ivar, thank you very much for your reply!
I will ask for the file in Parasolid, .x_t, format instead. Hope it will work out.

/Daniel
Ivar, thank you very much for your reply! I will ask for the file in Parasolid, .x_t, format instead. Hope it will work out. /Daniel

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 09:34
Did you have success with the parasolid export into comsol?
Did you have success with the parasolid export into comsol?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 09:37
Yes, it worked fine!
Yes, it worked fine!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 09:45
Thanks for the quick reply. I am running solidworks 2010 and comsol 3.5 .....Any known problems with this?..Thanks, Sam
Thanks for the quick reply. I am running solidworks 2010 and comsol 3.5 .....Any known problems with this?..Thanks, Sam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 09:49
One more question. Was you importing a solidworks assembly as a parasolid with multiple parts? Thanks, Sam
One more question. Was you importing a solidworks assembly as a parasolid with multiple parts? Thanks, Sam

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.