Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric Stimulation of Neural Tissue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am a new user of COMSOL Multiphysics and my main objective is to make a 3D simulation of the electrical stimulation of neural tissue. Eventually, I would like to be able to load my own electrode design and neural tissue geometry, and send different current pulses through the electrode and analyze the resulting field potential in the tissue.

My first step, was to follow the "Pacemaker Electrode" model tutorial, which is a good starting point. I was able to understand this tutorial quite well, and was able to reproduce the tutorial with my own electrode design. The problem, is that in this model we apply a voltage between 2 electrodes and look at the resulting electric potential.

Now, I would like to apply a certain current and see the resulting potential. I didn't find any tutorials about that. Would someone be able to help me?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best,
Julia

3 Replies Last Post 2014年4月14日 GMT-4 11:37
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月10日 GMT-4 12:39
Dear Julia,

welcome to COMSOL!
The solution to your problem is to change just a single boundary condition to Terminal.
There you can set a current, re-compute and see the desired result.

See attached model - have fun!

Best regards,
Sven Friedel

Dear Julia, welcome to COMSOL! The solution to your problem is to change just a single boundary condition to Terminal. There you can set a current, re-compute and see the desired result. See attached model - have fun! Best regards, Sven Friedel

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月10日 GMT-4 12:40
Hello,

here comes the file ...

Best regards,
Sven
Hello, here comes the file ... Best regards, Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月14日 GMT-4 11:37
Great!
Thank you a lot for the help.
Great! Thank you a lot for the help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.