Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Embedding a Circle on the Curved Face of a Cylinder.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a new user. I am trying to create a model where there is a flux coming into the curved side of a Cylinder. The flux enters from a circular area connected to the curved edge of the cylinder, so I thought a circle on the side and boundary conditions setting an inward flux would be the easiest way to go.

I have not been able to do this. I have tried embedding a circle from 2D, but it only seems to work if I am embedding to a 2D surface.

If anyone knows a simple way to do this, or can suggest another method it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

4 Replies Last Post 2013年1月25日 GMT-5 15:59
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月25日 GMT-5 15:05
Ken,

I don't have v3.5 so I'm not sure if you can do this or not, but here's how I'd do it in v4.3a:

Add the 1st cylinder
Add a 2nd cylinder perpendicular to the 1st that intersects the 1st where you want the circle to be
Use Conversions>Convert to Solid and add both cylinders to the selection list. This will generate the imprint on the face of the 1st cylinder where these cylinders intersect
Add a Delete entities node and delete the 2nd cylinder which you don't need any more.

See attached screenshots for the idea.

This should work for you.

Regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Ken, I don't have v3.5 so I'm not sure if you can do this or not, but here's how I'd do it in v4.3a: Add the 1st cylinder Add a 2nd cylinder perpendicular to the 1st that intersects the 1st where you want the circle to be Use Conversions>Convert to Solid and add both cylinders to the selection list. This will generate the imprint on the face of the 1st cylinder where these cylinders intersect Add a Delete entities node and delete the 2nd cylinder which you don't need any more. See attached screenshots for the idea. This should work for you. Regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月25日 GMT-5 15:32
Thank you, the pictures seem to be what I want. I have created the Cylinders, and I used 'Coerce to Solid' command with both selected. I did not see a menu item called 'Conversions>Convert to Solid'. The help manual says that coerce's function is 'To convert a geometry object from one type to another, for example, from a curve object to s a solid object.' So it seems that is what you are talking about.

However I do not know how to 'Add a Delete entities node'. I looked quickly through the manual and didn't see anything. If you could walk me through that step it would be very helpful.

Thank you!!
Thank you, the pictures seem to be what I want. I have created the Cylinders, and I used 'Coerce to Solid' command with both selected. I did not see a menu item called 'Conversions>Convert to Solid'. The help manual says that coerce's function is 'To convert a geometry object from one type to another, for example, from a curve object to s a solid object.' So it seems that is what you are talking about. However I do not know how to 'Add a Delete entities node'. I looked quickly through the manual and didn't see anything. If you could walk me through that step it would be very helpful. Thank you!!

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月25日 GMT-5 15:41
Ken,

Well, if you don't have a "Delete Entities" option. You may be able to use the "Split" command to divide the object into separate objects and then use the delete button on your keypad to delete the unwanted cylinder. Hope that works.

I'm not a 3.5 user so I may be out of my league here!

Regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Ken, Well, if you don't have a "Delete Entities" option. You may be able to use the "Split" command to divide the object into separate objects and then use the delete button on your keypad to delete the unwanted cylinder. Hope that works. I'm not a 3.5 user so I may be out of my league here! Regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月25日 GMT-5 15:59
Okay, I figured it out. Make the 2 cylinders, select both, press 'coerce to solid' then 'split object'. From there you have 3 objects, cylinder1, cylinder2 in cyl1 and cyl2 out of cyl1. Click the cyl2 out of cyl1 and delete it. Then select the two remaining objects, and 'coerce to solid' again. Then press 'Delete interior boundaries' to get rid of the boundaries left from the 2nd cylinder.

Thank you so much for your help
Okay, I figured it out. Make the 2 cylinders, select both, press 'coerce to solid' then 'split object'. From there you have 3 objects, cylinder1, cylinder2 in cyl1 and cyl2 out of cyl1. Click the cyl2 out of cyl1 and delete it. Then select the two remaining objects, and 'coerce to solid' again. Then press 'Delete interior boundaries' to get rid of the boundaries left from the 2nd cylinder. Thank you so much for your help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.