estimate the effective Young's modulus for the honeycomb structure.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am performing a modeling analysis on a honeycomb structure and utilizing a solid mechanics model. However, I am encountering difficulties in achieving consistent results between the analytical and numerical methods. I have used average volume and surface area in Derived Values (solid.sx) to determine the stress in each cell, but the stress values are not comparable with the analytical solution.

Please guide me on how to obtain the nominal stress and strain to estimate the effective Young's modulus for the honeycomb structure.

The given analytical formula of honycombe that used to compare with numerical for stress is:

Stress= F/ (10*b(L+h⋅sin(θ)))

F represents the applied force. b is the thickness of the honeycomb structure. h denotes the length of the horizontal cell walls. L is the length of the tilted cell walls in the honeycomb. θ is the angle. The factor of 10 is included to account for the 10 cells, as illustrated in the attached picture.

Khalid

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.