Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Peak Temperature Optimization in Laser Heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In a laser surface heating model the peak temperature achieved on the surface of the material is dependent on the material properties and on the laser parameters. For a given material (Cp, , k) beam size R0 and beam traverse velocity v; the peak temperature Tm can be controlled by the laser power output P. For the global maximum temperature in the model to reach Tm, P is given by:

P=π^(3/2)/2 ((R_0 (T_m-T_0))/A) ((ρC_p kvR_0)/C_1 )^(1/2)

C1 is an equation parameter with a value close to unity which will vary slightly depending on the power distribution in the laser beam.

For any given power distribution I want to find the value of C1 which gives a global maximum peak temperature of Tm. I have two questions:

1. Can I achieve this without the optimization module?
2. If I have to use the optimization module using C1 as the control variable, what would I use as the objective expression?

Many thanks

Dan

1 Reply Last Post 2012年12月19日 GMT-5 10:12
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月19日 GMT-5 10:12
The Optimization Module has a lot of advanced features. However, if you have only one variable to optimize (C1) it should be easy to solve without that module. You can define your objective function Tm as an Integration Coupling operator of type “Maximum”.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The Optimization Module has a lot of advanced features. However, if you have only one variable to optimize (C1) it should be easy to solve without that module. You can define your objective function Tm as an Integration Coupling operator of type “Maximum”. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.