Predicting Tower Displacement Due to Wind Turbine Blade Rotation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am currently developing a digital twin for a wind turbine using COMSOL Multiphysics. Specifically, I aim to model the effects of torque and forces generated by the rotation of the blades on the tower to predict its displacement. For this project, I plan to model the blades separately, simulate their rotation, and then apply the resulting forces to the tower model.

(As a note, the wind turbine is set up as a testbed for structural safety tests and is located indoors, thus it does not rotate due to wind. I can control the RPM, allowing me to adjust the baseline RPM for experiments. When conducting FSI analysis, it seems I just need to add AIR.)

So far, I have:

Modeled the tower and blades in 3D and conducted a natural frequency analysis. I am uncertain about the most effective way to transfer forces from the blades to the tower. I need guidance on whether to consider Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI) and how to implement it. In fact, my biggest concern is figuring out how to simplify the calculation of loads when the blades rotate fluidly. I am looking for the best way to integrate rotational dynamics and structural response.

I would like to ask the COMSOL community for advice on the following:

1. What is the best method for modeling the load transfer from the blades to the tower?
  2. What are the key considerations when modeling Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI)?
  3. Do you have any tips for effective modeling of rotational dynamics?
  4. Can you recommend any specific physics? I am considering adding solid mechanics or FSI to model the blades in a rotating frame, thus injecting the moment loads or other forces into the tower as it rotates. Is this realistically feasible, or are there any other physics you would recommend?

This project marks my first time modeling a wind turbine using COMSOL, so I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance from those with more experience. If possible, please share any relevant examples, documents, or tutorials.

Thank you.

I will also attach a part of the wind turbine's blueprint I am aiming to model, just in case. Thank you again.

0 Replies Last Post 2024年2月16日 GMT-5 02:39
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hoyoung Kim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.