Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time step

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

What is the reason why the convergence curve is peak shaped (up and down), and after a few hours, the calculation progress is only 4%? The time step is like this:range(0,0.001,0.01),range(0.01,0.03,0.1),range(0.1,0.3,1),range(1,1,20)s.The transient process I studied is approximately 20 seconds.Thank you.

8 Replies Last Post 2023年5月5日 GMT-4 15:55
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月18日 GMT-4 11:36

Based on the information you are providing I can assume that there must be a problem.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Based on the information you are providing I can assume that there must be a problem.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月18日 GMT-4 20:58

In case it isn't obvious, Edgar is suggesting that without looking at your model only the wildest guess is possible.

If your model contains proprietary elements, you may want to consider making a simpler model that exhibits the same sort of behavior. Indeed, putting together a model with simpler geometry and the same physics is often very helpful.

We need a "sticky" addressing "how do I ask a question that is likely to result in a helpful response?"

In case it isn't obvious, Edgar is suggesting that without looking at your model only the wildest guess is possible. If your model contains proprietary elements, you may want to consider making a simpler model that exhibits the same sort of behavior. Indeed, putting together a model with simpler geometry and the same physics is often very helpful. We need a "sticky" addressing "how do I ask a question that is likely to result in a helpful response?"

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月19日 GMT-4 04:23

We need a "sticky" addressing "how do I ask a question that is likely to result in a helpful response?"

Shouldn't that be something one learns at school and university in the first place? Not sure if any sticky would help. Well, I am really surprised how often complex questions are based on a null information, not only in this forum.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
>We need a "sticky" addressing "how do I ask a question that is likely to result in a helpful response?" > Shouldn't that be something one learns at school and university in the first place? Not sure if any sticky would help. Well, I am really surprised how often complex questions are based on a null information, not only in this forum.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月20日 GMT-4 13:42

Hello Dave and Edgar,

As it were, for a while I have thought of writing a document that would suggest to users of this Discussion Forum ways of improving their chance of getting useful responses from other users.

One of the reasons I have not done so already is that I don't think I can do much better than this fantastic page which I remember reading back when I was a wee grad student. While it's not written specifically with COMSOL in mind, much of it is applicable to this forum anyways, and it's a fun read. I'll just point out that its author uses the term "hacker" to mean something other than what most people think of today when they hear that word.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Dave and Edgar, As it were, for a while I have thought of writing a document that would suggest to users of this Discussion Forum ways of improving their chance of getting useful responses from other users. One of the reasons I have not done so already is that I don't think I can do much better than [this fantastic page](http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) which I remember reading back when I was a wee grad student. While it's not written specifically with COMSOL in mind, much of it is applicable to this forum anyways, and it's a fun read. I'll just point out that its author uses the term "hacker" to mean something other than what most people think of today when they hear that word. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月20日 GMT-4 16:33

Jeff

Well if you DID write something include the following

• No acronyms
  • clearly explain the problem- well enough for those not in the immediate area
  • Post your model if at all possible !!!
  • Ask an interesting question
  • Be sure to browse the application gallery if trying to get started

Interesting link, I will have a look at it.

I remember many occasions when grad students would ask for advice and want a short answer...and I would spend time working back to find out what the real problem was.

Jeff Well if you DID write something include the following - No acronyms - clearly explain the problem- well enough for those not in the immediate area - Post your model if at all possible !!! - Ask an interesting question - Be sure to browse the application gallery if trying to get started Interesting link, I will have a look at it. I remember many occasions when grad students would ask for advice and want a short answer...and I would spend time working back to find out what the real problem was.

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月21日 GMT-4 11:49

The link that Jeff posted does contain very useful advice. However rather wordy and some parts not really applicable to Comsol questions.

Apparently the people who respond here are not as testy as those who haunt Linix forums.

The link that Jeff posted does contain very useful advice. However rather wordy and some parts not really applicable to Comsol questions. Apparently the people who respond here are not as testy as those who haunt Linix forums.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 11 months ago 2023年5月5日 GMT-4 10:24

Dave and Edgar,

It's a small step, but on the form that is used to submit posts to the Discussion Forum, we've now added language encouraging users to attach their mph files in addition to simply screenshots. We'll see if that helps.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Dave and Edgar, It's a small step, but on the form that is used to submit posts to the Discussion Forum, we've now added language encouraging users to attach their mph files in addition to simply screenshots. We'll see if that helps. Best, Jeff

Posted: 11 months ago 2023年5月5日 GMT-4 15:55

Even better- have a checkbox that needs to be checked before submitting that says

"If I have not attached an .mph file I understand that the chances of a useful response are greatly reduced"

Anyway- since lots of posters don't come back...maybe they are just venting?

Even better- have a checkbox that needs to be checked before submitting that says "If I have not attached an .mph file I understand that the chances of a useful response are greatly reduced" Anyway- since lots of posters don't come back...maybe they are just venting?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.