Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

element volume

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I would like to find the volume of each element (Mesh) in Comsol 3D or the area of each element in 2D.

I was wondering if you could help me.

Thanks,
Hoda

5 Replies Last Post 2012年10月5日 GMT-4 03:57

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月3日 GMT-4 10:03
You can get a measure of the size from the parameter "h" - see the help under: "Displaying Mesh Element Quality and the Mesh Element Size". To get the actual volume, I don't know.
You can get a measure of the size from the parameter "h" - see the help under: "Displaying Mesh Element Quality and the Mesh Element Size". To get the actual volume, I don't know.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月3日 GMT-4 12:50
Hi

check the doc about "h" mesh average size (not very representative for elongated mesh elements) and "dvol", but the exact volume is more complex as you have the discretization that interfers, the physics and the frame (deformations)

Try a search on the forum, it has already been discussed

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc about "h" mesh average size (not very representative for elongated mesh elements) and "dvol", but the exact volume is more complex as you have the discretization that interfers, the physics and the frame (deformations) Try a search on the forum, it has already been discussed -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月3日 GMT-4 23:47
The quantity you’re looking for is meshvol. Plot it and make sure you set Smoothing = None under Quality in the plot settings.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The quantity you’re looking for is meshvol. Plot it and make sure you set Smoothing = None under Quality in the plot settings. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月4日 GMT-4 05:18
Hi Nagi

Thanks for the correction, looks like a new name.

As a general comment (also applicable for me ;) use the DOC try a Help - Search - Geometric Variables

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Nagi Thanks for the correction, looks like a new name. As a general comment (also applicable for me ;) use the DOC try a Help - Search - Geometric Variables -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月5日 GMT-4 03:57

Thanks Richard.
Thanks Ivar.
and thank you Nagi.
It was a great help.
Thanks Richard. Thanks Ivar. and thank you Nagi. It was a great help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.