Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I couple mef with ec physics? They appear to be solving independently

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi. I am using Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) physics module with Electric Circuit (cir) physics. I am applying a Velocity (Lorentz Term) to the mef physics to simulate a Hall Effect voltage. I am applying a Terminal as an electrical current source to the same physical geometry. The solver appears to solve the problems independently, whereas I would expect a multiphysics model to treat the boundary conditions simultaneously as two separate voltage sources on two adjacent surfaces oriented 90 degrees apart. The mef solver generates a "V" variable, and the cir solver generates a "V2" variable. The results plot options reflect that as two separate solutions. (The file is too big to upload.) Maybe the issue is that you can't have two adjacent voltage sources since the higher potential will flow current over to the lower potential voltage source? Hence, have to come up with the sophisticated method provided by Walter Frei https://www.comsol.de/blogs/how-to-model-a-hall-effect-sensor-with-comsol-multiphysics/, to induce transverse current flow, representing the Hall voltage?

1 Reply Last Post 2023年1月24日 GMT-5 14:30
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年1月24日 GMT-5 14:30
Updated: 1 year ago 2023年1月24日 GMT-5 14:31

Some thoughts: 1. If you clear the solution(s) and mesh(es) in your model (see buttons along the top of the user-interface), you can probably save a .mph file small enough to fit within the 5 MB limit of posting to this forum. 2. Are you using the "fully coupled" solver configuration?

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Some thoughts: 1. If you clear the solution(s) and mesh(es) in your model (see buttons along the top of the user-interface), you can probably save a .mph file small enough to fit within the 5 MB limit of posting to this forum. 2. Are you using the "fully coupled" solver configuration?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.