Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Tips for solving : Returned solution is not converged.?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Failed to find a solution.
The relative error (14) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.

Is it physics dependant? or are there general tips to resolve this error. Weird enough- i tried to solve this model...sometimes it solves without any changes (i was attempting frequency domain study for PZD and Acoustic physics) while at other times it does not and gives this error.

Please please reply with your comsoling experience!
Lets create a error vs solution database here with our combined experience.

Megha

2 Replies Last Post 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 15:04
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 14:38
Hi

check the knowledge base (KB) on the main site, my experiences are thigs like too coarse mesh, or initial solutions too far from final results, poor solver stepping settings ...
No unique reason from my knowledge, but its usefull to investigate a little to learn what drives the errro so you can avoid it next time

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the knowledge base (KB) on the main site, my experiences are thigs like too coarse mesh, or initial solutions too far from final results, poor solver stepping settings ... No unique reason from my knowledge, but its usefull to investigate a little to learn what drives the errro so you can avoid it next time -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 15:04

Hi

check the knowledge base (KB) on the main site, my experiences are thigs like too coarse mesh, or initial solutions too far from final results, poor solver stepping settings ...
No unique reason from my knowledge, but its usefull to investigate a little to learn what drives the errro so you can avoid it next time

--
Good luck
Ivar

thanks Ivar. i would check and keep updating!
[QUOTE] Hi check the knowledge base (KB) on the main site, my experiences are thigs like too coarse mesh, or initial solutions too far from final results, poor solver stepping settings ... No unique reason from my knowledge, but its usefull to investigate a little to learn what drives the errro so you can avoid it next time -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] thanks Ivar. i would check and keep updating!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.