Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coil with sinusoidal wire radius section

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear community,

I am writing you this message because I am not sure how to proceed to do my simulation.

I would like to simulate the magnetic field generated by a coil that doesn't have a constant wire section. The coil I want to simulate has a wire radius section that changes according to a sinus section.

I was thinking about designing such a shape on Catia and next importing it on COMSOL to make my simulation. Do you know if it is possible to draw such a design directly on COMSOL ?

Thank you very much if you take time to answer my questions. Cheers, Pierrodactile :)

2 Replies Last Post 2022年1月7日 GMT-5 13:37
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年1月7日 GMT-5 11:58
Updated: 2 years ago 2022年1月7日 GMT-5 14:05

Hello Pierre,

You could certainly import such a geometry from a CAD package, assuming your license includes the right products, see the CAD Specification Chart.

However, you can probably create such a geometry directly in COMSOL, without a CAD package, since it allows the drawing of "parametric surfaces" (look for that feature in the GUI, under the Geometry branch of the Model Builder) based on their equations.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Pierre, You could certainly import such a geometry from a CAD package, assuming your license includes the right products, see the [CAD Specification Chart](https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/). However, you can probably create such a geometry directly in COMSOL, without a CAD package, since it allows the drawing of "parametric surfaces" (look for that feature in the GUI, under the Geometry branch of the Model Builder) based on their equations. Best, Jeff

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年1月7日 GMT-5 13:37

Pierre,

check the options of parameterized curves and surfaces in the geometry editor.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Pierre, check the options of parameterized curves and surfaces in the geometry editor. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.