Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiple SPP Modes with numerical ports

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I have a problem that is probably (hopefully) a rather simple one if one has more experience with COMSOL. I want to simulate the dispersion relation of a thin (in nm regime) metallic layer between two different dielectrics (glass and air). I started by following this guide for a single metal-dielectric interface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jABbLT6QJuM and it worked as it should giving me the dispersion relation of SPPs confined to the interface.

I then modified it to have three layers (glass,metal,air) and at first it only gave me one dispersion relation because in the numerical ports settings it was only looking for 1 eigenmode. I changed both ports to two eigenmodes (see the attached file). For a still rather thick metal layer (250 µm) I should just get the normal dispersion relations of the two interfaces as the SPPs do not influence each other for this thickness.

However, COMSOL does not give me these (still rather simple) results, let alone what happens if I go to a thinner metal layer. Instead the calculation times out without converging to a solution. Upping the maximum number of iterations does not help. Is there something that I missed in order to be able to calculate dispersion relations for both interfaces?

Thanks in advance!

0 Replies Last Post 2021年12月15日 GMT-5 07:20
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rieke

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.