Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Friction stir welding modeling, heat transfer+navier stokes, getting solver error...

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I would like to model friction stir welding process. I used general heat transfer module and incompressible navier stokes module together. I do not have any problem with the heat transfer module, when I solve seperately, the heat transfer model gives reasonable results. But when I add the navier stokes model I get an error. NaN or failed to find.....(I can give later on detailed error message)

I checked all the boundary conditions, all of them are consistent with the real world. I added some pressure boundary conditions to ease the numerical calculations.

I think the problematic thing is the way I define the viscosity. The viscosity is a function of flow stress and strain rate. And again the flow stress is a function of temperature and strain rate. So the viscosity changes with the strain rate and temperature.

I ticked higly nonlinear problem alternative, I ticked complex number alternative, I tried several different solvers. But I could not manage to avoid this error.

By the way I use COMSOL 3.5a, steady state eulerian approach.

If you suggest me a solution, I would appreciate it a lot.

Atilla

1 Reply Last Post 2012年7月3日 GMT-4 04:46

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月3日 GMT-4 04:46

Hi everybody,

I would like to model friction stir welding process. I used general heat transfer module and incompressible navier stokes module together. I do not have any problem with the heat transfer module, when I solve seperately, the heat transfer model gives reasonable results. But when I add the navier stokes model I get an error. NaN or failed to find.....(I can give later on detailed error message)

I checked all the boundary conditions, all of them are consistent with the real world. I added some pressure boundary conditions to ease the numerical calculations.

I think the problematic thing is the way I define the viscosity. The viscosity is a function of flow stress and strain rate. And again the flow stress is a function of temperature and strain rate. So the viscosity changes with the strain rate and temperature.

I ticked higly nonlinear problem alternative, I ticked complex number alternative, I tried several different solvers. But I could not manage to avoid this error.

By the way I use COMSOL 3.5a, steady state eulerian approach.

If you suggest me a solution, I would appreciate it a lot.

Atilla

Since nobody answered me, I am going to tell what I did to eliminate this error.

I looked up for the error code in the manuals. I realized that this error occurs because of the viscosity equation. This equation has first derivatives of velocity components. In the manuals it says either change the expression or the initial values of the velocity components. I did change the initial values, but I got the same result. I also have to use the velocity expression. What can you recommend? What can I do to eliminate this error.

Ivar, could you please say something?

I want to continue to have fun comsoling...but it is hard to do it now.:)

Atilla.

[QUOTE] Hi everybody, I would like to model friction stir welding process. I used general heat transfer module and incompressible navier stokes module together. I do not have any problem with the heat transfer module, when I solve seperately, the heat transfer model gives reasonable results. But when I add the navier stokes model I get an error. NaN or failed to find.....(I can give later on detailed error message) I checked all the boundary conditions, all of them are consistent with the real world. I added some pressure boundary conditions to ease the numerical calculations. I think the problematic thing is the way I define the viscosity. The viscosity is a function of flow stress and strain rate. And again the flow stress is a function of temperature and strain rate. So the viscosity changes with the strain rate and temperature. I ticked higly nonlinear problem alternative, I ticked complex number alternative, I tried several different solvers. But I could not manage to avoid this error. By the way I use COMSOL 3.5a, steady state eulerian approach. If you suggest me a solution, I would appreciate it a lot. Atilla [/QUOTE] Since nobody answered me, I am going to tell what I did to eliminate this error. I looked up for the error code in the manuals. I realized that this error occurs because of the viscosity equation. This equation has first derivatives of velocity components. In the manuals it says either change the expression or the initial values of the velocity components. I did change the initial values, but I got the same result. I also have to use the velocity expression. What can you recommend? What can I do to eliminate this error. Ivar, could you please say something? I want to continue to have fun comsoling...but it is hard to do it now.:) Atilla.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.