Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Including non linearity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sir ,
I am using linear elastic material model under solid mechanics.In most cases the calculations are in linear range but I am unsure if my all are in linear range. How can i include non linearity just in case the calculations enter non linear domain ?
Thanking you in advance,
Vijay

2 Replies Last Post 2012年7月1日 GMT-4 13:00

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月1日 GMT-4 12:31
Witin the solver, you can include the nonlinearity as following:
Study => step (e.g. Frequency Domain)=> Include geometric nonlinearity (just a tick)

Hope it works

Regards,
Mohamed
Witin the solver, you can include the nonlinearity as following: Study => step (e.g. Frequency Domain)=> Include geometric nonlinearity (just a tick) Hope it works Regards, Mohamed

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月1日 GMT-4 13:00
In Stationary and Transient Dynamic analyses you can add geometric nonlinearity to an elastic material through the Study node. There’s a check box under the “Step” sub-node. This is not always sufficient though since just adding geometric nonlinearity may not be enough. The material may experience large strains that deviate from the linearity of Hooke’s law. In that you should also replace the elastic material with a more accurate model such as hyperelastic or elastic-plastic.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
In Stationary and Transient Dynamic analyses you can add geometric nonlinearity to an elastic material through the Study node. There’s a check box under the “Step” sub-node. This is not always sufficient though since just adding geometric nonlinearity may not be enough. The material may experience large strains that deviate from the linearity of Hooke’s law. In that you should also replace the elastic material with a more accurate model such as hyperelastic or elastic-plastic. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.