Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing a well deviation survey into a geometry.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

i have been building generic models for some time now but am now tasked with integrating actual well deviation surveys into a geological model. The well deviation survey is a table with depth, inclination and azimuth for each well segment as well as X/Y coordinates for each segment (segment meaning 10 m intervals).

If i wanted to integrate such a well as cylinder into the model, how would l do that?

3 Replies Last Post 2021年9月23日 GMT-4 09:28
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年9月22日 GMT-4 09:54
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年9月22日 GMT-4 17:00

Hello Aron,

If I understand correctly, you would like to automate the creation of geometry, based on some data that is contained in a table. There are two basic approaches you can employ: 1. If you have MATLAB and your COMSOL license includes LiveLink for MATLAB, you could use that interface. See the two manuals for that product for more details. They are accessed through File > Help > Documentation. 2. If not, you can use Java scripting instead, see for instance this blog for an example, or this video for more details.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Aron, If I understand correctly, you would like to automate the creation of geometry, based on some data that is contained in a table. There are two basic approaches you can employ: 1. If you have MATLAB and your COMSOL license includes [LiveLink for MATLAB](https://www.comsol.com/livelink-for-matlab), you could use that interface. See the two manuals for that product for more details. They are accessed through File > Help > Documentation. 2. If not, you can use Java scripting instead, see for instance [this blog](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-create-a-randomized-geometry-using-model-methods/) for an example, or [this video](https://www.comsol.com/video/automating-your-modeling-workflow-with-model-methods-in-comsol) for more details. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年9月23日 GMT-4 03:13

I dont actually want to automate it.

I just want to know how to import a deviation survey (as x,y,z table) and turn it into a well (a pipe like structure).

I dont actually want to automate it. I just want to know how to import a deviation survey (as x,y,z table) and turn it into a well (a pipe like structure).

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年9月23日 GMT-4 09:28
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年9月23日 GMT-4 17:16

Hi Aron,

While there are ways of reading plain-text file data into COMSOL, there is no one-step way of bringing in a deviation survey and turning it into the sort of geometry feature you are hoping to generate I am afraid. Either of the two approaches I suggested earlier remain valid alternatives. With that said, there is one more idea that came to my mind and it may well be simpler for you to implement: if you can massage your data so that instead of being a list of depth, inclination and azimuth it is a list of (x,y,z) coordinates -which should be a matter of simple trigonometry- then you could import that directly into a Polygon. In the attached screenshot, I typed such coordinates manually into a table but another option is to read those coordinates from a file.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Aron, While there are ways of reading plain-text file data into COMSOL, there is no one-step way of bringing in a deviation survey and turning it into the sort of geometry feature you are hoping to generate I am afraid. Either of the two approaches I suggested earlier remain valid alternatives. With that said, there is one more idea that came to my mind and it may well be simpler for you to implement: if you can massage your data so that instead of being a list of depth, inclination and azimuth it is a list of (x,y,z) coordinates -which should be a matter of simple trigonometry- then you could import that directly into a Polygon. In the attached screenshot, I typed such coordinates manually into a table but another option is to read those coordinates from a file. I hope this helps. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.