Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Circle around 3D sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a 3D sphere of radius 10mm at potential +1000V. I would like to plot the potential across a circular arc of radius 20mm around the sphere, in the z plane. How can I do so? I've attached an image to show what I mean. I am a relatively new user and would appreciate any help I can get.

Kind regards, Anwesha

3 Replies Last Post 2021年4月17日 GMT-4 17:28
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年4月16日 GMT-4 14:11
  1. Are you having trouble setting up the geometry, selecting the physics, specifying the boundary conditions, defining the mesh, preparing/post-processing of the computed results, or??
  2. You only mentioned one potential boundary condition. Is this sphere in free space? If so, we have spherical symmetry and the potential is simply proportional to 1/r, for r>10mm. Thus, if the potential is 1000V at r=10mm, then it is 500V at r=20mm.
  3. Ok, so since the answer is already known, you presumably have a purpose in preparing a model anyway? Well, if that purpose is to gain practice/experience in using the code, I suggest you take a look at the tutorial videos provided on-line and also work through (step by step, don't skip ahead) some of the examples available to you in the Comsol application library. See https://www.comsol.com/learning-center .
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. Are you having trouble setting up the geometry, selecting the physics, specifying the boundary conditions, defining the mesh, preparing/post-processing of the computed results, or?? 2. You only mentioned one potential boundary condition. Is this sphere in free space? If so, we have spherical symmetry and the potential is simply proportional to 1/r, for r>10mm. Thus, if the potential is 1000V at r=10mm, then it is 500V at r=20mm. 3. Ok, so since the answer is already known, you presumably have a purpose in preparing a model anyway? Well, if that purpose is to gain practice/experience in using the code, I suggest you take a look at the tutorial videos provided on-line and also work through (step by step, don't skip ahead) some of the examples available to you in the Comsol application library. See https://www.comsol.com/learning-center .

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年4月17日 GMT-4 14:22

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. The sphere is in free space. I have made the geometry. I'm having trouble evaluating the potential along the arc described. I assume that would be part of post-processing/ results.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. The sphere is in free space. I have made the geometry. I'm having trouble evaluating the potential along the arc described. I assume that would be part of post-processing/ results.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年4月17日 GMT-4 17:28
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年4月17日 GMT-4 17:30

You can add a "line plot" of the potential V along the line (arc) in question, as a 1D plot, under Results. Be sure to select the arc of interest to you. I suggest you practice making these and other plots, and work with examples provided in the application library.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You can add a "line plot" of the potential V along the line (arc) in question, as a 1D plot, under Results. Be sure to select the arc of interest to you. I suggest you practice making these and other plots, and work with examples provided in the application library.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.