Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulate Rotating Membrane in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I wish to model a membrane (picture attached), that is mounted on a rotor at its center. Initially, there is no load except gravity, then we start rotating using the rotor. A sweep of the rotation rpm has to be done in order to evaluate its behavior. The issues that I am facing, 1. Membrane element must have tension for COMSOL to even start the simulation. There is no way I can say, the membrane has only gravity and centrifugal effects. Then, how do I perform it? Do I apply a very low value of Initial in-plane force? Or do I need to apply an initial strain, if so how much? 2. While trying to do a sweep of the Rotor rpm while making a time-dependent analysis? Thank you in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 2020年11月21日 GMT-5 22:40

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年11月10日 GMT-5 23:14

Dear Paul,

Normally the pretension should be set for COMSOL membrane physics. This is unavoidable, if you know the natural frequency of your membrane, you can empirically derive the in-plane tension of your membrane.

Kind regards, TY

Dear Paul, Normally the pretension should be set for COMSOL membrane physics. This is unavoidable, if you know the natural frequency of your membrane, you can empirically derive the in-plane tension of your membrane. Kind regards, TY

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年11月21日 GMT-5 22:40

Thank you. I defined the Tension as a function of the Spatial coordinates and it seems to work.

Thank you. I defined the Tension as a function of the Spatial coordinates and it seems to work.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.