Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Integration in a custom coordinate system.

Valery Chernomorchenko

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a pipe geometry aligned with the z axis shifted in x and y. I want to calculate the men fluid temperature through the pipe. I use the integration operator with the spatial at expression (through a variable). The syntaxis i try is like: integrate(integrate(comp1.at3(sys2.r,sys2.phi,sys2.a,Tw),sys2.r,0,ra),sys2.phi,-pi,pi). The frame of the sys2 cylindrical coordinate system is spatial. The axis directions are checked and are correct. I can integrate if the pipe is made as an axisymmetric study but is the study is a 3D component, the integral fails. If i build a square geometry and evaluate it in the same way - using the integral syntax, i get the right result (using the default coordinate system).

It must be something of the coordinate system interpretation.

2 Replies Last Post 2020年10月17日 GMT-4 23:24
Valery Chernomorchenko

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年10月17日 GMT-4 12:09

This is the program - very simple. Can you please help. I am running out of time for my work.

This is the program - very simple. Can you please help. I am running out of time for my work.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2020年10月17日 GMT-4 23:24
Updated: 3 years ago 2020年10月17日 GMT-4 23:26
  1. When I want to compute an average of a quantity that is available in post-processing, I usually define a probe. Under Component 1, choose definitions, right-click and select Probes, then Domain Probe. The default is average. Probes are usually pretty easy to use. You don't have to apply specific integration operators or deal with offset coordinate systems to merely compute averages, in most cases.
  2. By the way, your model (case.mph) seems to be a "laminar flow" model with physics that doesn't seem to involve temperature?! So, I'm not sure what you'll achieve by computing a mean temperature. Good luck.
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. When I want to compute an average of a quantity that is available in post-processing, I usually define a probe. Under Component 1, choose definitions, right-click and select Probes, then Domain Probe. The default is average. Probes are usually pretty easy to use. You don't have to apply specific integration operators or deal with offset coordinate systems to merely compute averages, in most cases. 2. By the way, your model (case.mph) seems to be a "laminar flow" model with physics that doesn't seem to involve temperature?! So, I'm not sure what you'll achieve by computing a mean temperature. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.