Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Save settings of solver.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

But I threw one of the model physics and left me Some reports and variables that could no longer be assessed.
I know that I should delete the cell and generate a new solver.
But I fear that I have to do all the settings again.
It is possible to save these settings.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 2012年1月10日 GMT-5 15:03
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月10日 GMT-5 15:03
Hello

The Results nodes are linked to the Data set nodes, and the data sets are linked to the solver sequences that are linked to the main solver setting ;) quite a chain !
When you delete the top of the chain, COMSOL deletes the rest of the branch and you must redefine your solver sequence (or at least the default one), initiate your initial conditions, or solve, to generate a new Data set, add your additional data set sub nodes if required, add your Derived variables if required, and update, change and add your results plots.

This ensures a logical chaining and updating of the variables, but is annoying when you need to reset the sover sequence because you have teaked too far, and would want to have the default sequence.

Now there is a way around, but its not always simpler:
You can generate a new Solver sequence, without deleting the old one, you initialte it or solve (without deleting the old one nor the results) once you have a new main Solver Data Set (that one is specific to the solver sequence and from my knowledge must be generated by COMSOl via a complete or partial (initial conditions) solve command Then you can redirect each Derived Variable to the new data set, just as you can derive/change the additional data set nodes fromthe old solution to the new one, and you can redirect the man results plot nodes, and, when required the plot sub nodes (generally the first entry in the settings window). Once you have passed through them all, then you can delete the old solver sequence, and that will erase the old data set.

Thereafter its useful to reset your model and save it to limit its intenal spagetti links, and reduce its size.

Not that easy, I agree, but these chains contains so many related data that its not at all trivial to chain them and update them, even to prune them.
Personally, I often redo the sequences from scratch, particularly if I have made many changes, it's hardly longer but you have a better control of the "defult settings" you are using

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello The Results nodes are linked to the Data set nodes, and the data sets are linked to the solver sequences that are linked to the main solver setting ;) quite a chain ! When you delete the top of the chain, COMSOL deletes the rest of the branch and you must redefine your solver sequence (or at least the default one), initiate your initial conditions, or solve, to generate a new Data set, add your additional data set sub nodes if required, add your Derived variables if required, and update, change and add your results plots. This ensures a logical chaining and updating of the variables, but is annoying when you need to reset the sover sequence because you have teaked too far, and would want to have the default sequence. Now there is a way around, but its not always simpler: You can generate a new Solver sequence, without deleting the old one, you initialte it or solve (without deleting the old one nor the results) once you have a new main Solver Data Set (that one is specific to the solver sequence and from my knowledge must be generated by COMSOl via a complete or partial (initial conditions) solve command Then you can redirect each Derived Variable to the new data set, just as you can derive/change the additional data set nodes fromthe old solution to the new one, and you can redirect the man results plot nodes, and, when required the plot sub nodes (generally the first entry in the settings window). Once you have passed through them all, then you can delete the old solver sequence, and that will erase the old data set. Thereafter its useful to reset your model and save it to limit its intenal spagetti links, and reduce its size. Not that easy, I agree, but these chains contains so many related data that its not at all trivial to chain them and update them, even to prune them. Personally, I often redo the sequences from scratch, particularly if I have made many changes, it's hardly longer but you have a better control of the "defult settings" you are using -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.