Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

moving charge in medium

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello world,

I would like find the electric E(x,y,z,t) and in the magnetic field B(x,y,z,t) (depending on the time) around a particle moving with velocity v along the z-axis in a homogenous medium with a given electric permittivity and magnetic permeability. The particle is an ion represented by the charge density rho(x,y,z,t) = rho_0*exp(-(x+y))*log(z-2*v*t). Also, the particle has a relativistic movement (v ~ c).

My idea is to use the full Maxwell's equations and a current source J(x,y,z,t) = rho(x,y,z,t)*v.

In my opinion, I have two way to do it using COMSOL :

- use the general PDE mode to solve the system of equations coupling E, B, J obtained after some operations on Maxwell's equations...;

- use the AC power electromagnetics mode but the problem is that the fields must have (I read the COMSOL's book) an harmonic variation in time in the form : exp(iwt) but unfortunately it is not the case in my specific problem !!
Have you an idea to solve my problem ?

Thank you for your help !

Antoine

0 Replies Last Post 2011年12月15日 GMT-5 16:15
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Antoine Martinez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.