Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Capacitance Calculation under the Electric Currents interface of AC/DC Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I am a beginner of Comsol. I need to figure out how to calculate the capacitance and resistance of a Polymer Block at first.

I can easily get the capacitance from the Electrostatic interface under AC/DC Module same as the theoretical calculation C[F] = epsilon[F/m]*epsilonr[1]*A[m^2]/d[m]. My process is as follow:

a. Build a block.
b. Set the materials properties values, the epsilon and epsilonr.
c. Under physics, apply terminal V on the top face and set the bottom as ground.
d. Mesh.
e. Study. And do the global calculation to get the capacitance value.

But, I also need to know the resistance of the block, which I cannot get any useful information from this situation. For the resistance, I want to use the equation, R=V[v] /I [A]. The voltage is already set, but I need know the current, which I cannot get here. My purpose is that I want to compare it with the theoretical calculation value R=L[m]/(A[m^2]*Sigma[s/m].

Therefore, I change my physics to Electric currents interface, where most of parameters setup in Electrostatic are same. After study, I can get the current from the global evaluation. After divided by voltage, I get the resistance same as theoretical calculation value. But there is not capacitance evaluation. I really want to calculate both of them together at the same time, under the same physics interface.

I know that maybe I can use energy method to calculate the capacitance indirectly, W[j]=0.5*C*V^2. But I don't know how to get the energy. I just see that there is Total Power Dissipation Density in the global evaluation, I don't understand it either. Now, I am stuck. Please Help!

Is there anyone that can help me? I am really appreciate for it!!!

Lost Beginner.

3 Replies Last Post 2011年12月15日 GMT-5 11:02

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年12月15日 GMT-5 03:37

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年12月15日 GMT-5 09:57
Hi, John,

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I didn't use both of the interfaces at the same time before, because I thought they might affect each other. I am a newer, and not clear whether there would be a coupling effect between them.

As you suggested, I just put them together and got the values I want. Does this mean that the separated calculation method and the combination calculation way are same ? Is the calculation of combination method solving the two physics interface situations one by one? Both are based on the same initial conditions?

Actually, this is the first step. Later, I need to calculate a changing capacitance and resistance under various frequency. So, I'd better use the Electric Currents interface. I think I still have to find a direct or indirect way to calculate capacitance under the Electric Currents interface.

Yes, the dimension of the block is 20*5*0.5 [mm]. It is a very large and thin plate.

Thanks.
Hi, John, Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. I didn't use both of the interfaces at the same time before, because I thought they might affect each other. I am a newer, and not clear whether there would be a coupling effect between them. As you suggested, I just put them together and got the values I want. Does this mean that the separated calculation method and the combination calculation way are same ? Is the calculation of combination method solving the two physics interface situations one by one? Both are based on the same initial conditions? Actually, this is the first step. Later, I need to calculate a changing capacitance and resistance under various frequency. So, I'd better use the Electric Currents interface. I think I still have to find a direct or indirect way to calculate capacitance under the Electric Currents interface. Yes, the dimension of the block is 20*5*0.5 [mm]. It is a very large and thin plate. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年12月15日 GMT-5 11:02
[]
[]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.