Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use external current density in racetrack coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I need to analyze Electromagnetic force of racetrack coil with time dependent. To make this model, I use external current density. It has been confirmed that the external current density can be properly analyzed by time dependent analysis of circular coil. By using like those formula. Ix = I0-y/sqrt(x^2 + y^2), Iy = I0x/sqrt(x^2 + y^2), Iz=0

Now I try to analyze racetrack coil using external current density but I can't. I attached the file. Please give me your help and advice.

Thank you

4 Replies Last Post 2019年7月12日 GMT-4 03:38
Nirmal Paudel Tribhuvan University/Electrical Engineering

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年7月10日 GMT-4 16:22
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年7月10日 GMT-4 16:22

Hi,

Why don't you try using the Solid Conductor using the Coil feature to model the solid piece and compute the Lorentz Force?

BR/Nirmal

Hi, Why don't you try using the Solid Conductor using the Coil feature to model the solid piece and compute the Lorentz Force? BR/Nirmal

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年7月11日 GMT-4 01:51
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年7月11日 GMT-4 01:49

Dear Nirmal,

Thank you for your reply. I want to use the Coil future but it cannot be used in time dependent.

Dear Nirmal, Thank you for your reply. I want to use the Coil future but it cannot be used in time dependent.

Cesare Tozzo COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年7月11日 GMT-4 10:50
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年7月11日 GMT-4 10:49

Are you sure it is a single bulk conductor? If it is a bobbin (or if it is a bulk but you can assume constant resistivity as the pulse is slow... as could seem from your case given a fast look to parameters if it is not a multiturn) you can use multiturn. Transient 3D, current fed works out of the box for multiturn. This will include inductive effect averaged on the coil, but not local skin depth.

Have you already sent the model to support? If not, do it as we could help you as there is a couple of extra tricks for single turn, that you can use for current feeding time domain single turn conductor.

Cite a few. 1) add a voltage feed and se the voltage so to constrint current (in easy cases this is easy and works) 2) mix electric currents and magnetic fields as it is demoed in second part of https://www.comsol.com/model/rotating-machinery-3d-tutorial-10437 3) solution as https://www.comsol.com/model/geometry-optimization-of-a-3d-complex-shaped-coil-for-induction-heating-58051 where the feeding is put via a discontinuity on a "Magnetic Fields No Current" physics

Good luck

Cesare

Are you sure it is a single bulk conductor? If it is a bobbin (or if it is a bulk but you can assume constant resistivity as the pulse is slow... as could seem from your case given a fast look to parameters if it is not a multiturn) you can use multiturn. Transient 3D, current fed works out of the box for multiturn. This will include inductive effect averaged on the coil, but not local skin depth. Have you already sent the model to support? If not, do it as we could help you as there is a couple of extra tricks for single turn, that you can use for current feeding time domain single turn conductor. Cite a few. 1) add a voltage feed and se the voltage so to constrint current (in easy cases this is easy and works) 2) mix electric currents and magnetic fields as it is demoed in second part of https://www.comsol.com/model/rotating-machinery-3d-tutorial-10437 3) solution as https://www.comsol.com/model/geometry-optimization-of-a-3d-complex-shaped-coil-for-induction-heating-58051 where the feeding is put via a discontinuity on a "Magnetic Fields No Current" physics Good luck Cesare

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年7月12日 GMT-4 03:38
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年7月12日 GMT-4 03:38

Dear Cesare,

Thank you for your answer, Cesare. I really appreciate your kind support. My coil shape is like a bobbin. I can use the multiturn in the Coil feature with time dependent but I can't solve it yet.

I'm goin to read those and try a little more. If I can't solve it, I will send the model to support and ask your help.

Thanks!!

Dear Cesare, Thank you for your answer, Cesare. I really appreciate your kind support. My coil shape is like a bobbin. I can use the multiturn in the Coil feature with time dependent but I can't solve it yet. I'm goin to read those and try a little more. If I can't solve it, I will send the model to support and ask your help. Thanks!!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.