Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inversed sign in electric field of port.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello to all

For verification purposes I'm simulating a interface between glass and vacuum. For the port in vacuum with wave input I define my electric fields as follows: E=(E0cos(alpha)exp(-i(kaxx+kayy)), -E0sin(alpha)exp(-i(kaxx+kayy)), 0), where E0=1V/m, kax=emw.k0sin(alpha), kay=k0cos(alpha).

For the output port in glass I would like to define E=(E0cos(beta)exp(-i(kaxx+kayy)), -E0sin(beta)exp(-i(kbxx+kbyy)), 0) where again E0=1V/m, kax=emw.k0*sin(beta).

But inexplicably, this is not consisten with the analytical solution. But with the following electric field for the output port it gives the correct solution: E=(E0cos(beta)exp(-i(kaxx+kayy)), E0sin(beta)exp(-i(kbxx+kbyy)), 0), where I have changed the sign in the y-component. Why do I have to change this sign?

(Im using floquet boundaries with (kax, kay), 2D model)

0 Replies Last Post 2019年6月6日 GMT-4 08:45
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marcel Stucki

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.