Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

total DOF > 3*(# total nodes) for a linear tetrahedral mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I find it strange and puzzling! I have a simple unit cube meshed with tetrahedral elements. I chose "Linear" for the interpolation order, linear elastic material and static study. Used displacement BCs, no other type of constraints. See the attached model file.

When I export mesh, I see 33 linear tets and total number of nodes is 15. Since, each node has 3 degrees of freedom (viz. {u v w}, I checked in the equation view as well for the field variables in the solver node), I must have 3*15 = 45 DOF.

However, while solving in the log file it reports 222 DOF! What are these extra DOF, which are nearly 5 times the "actual" DOF?

In a 3D model with 20k nodes, this difference in DOF is a big blow on the computation time and memory for me. So I really need to understand what is this and how to get rid of these excess DOF.

Best regards,
Kodanda

4 Replies Last Post 2011年10月25日 GMT-4 07:17
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月24日 GMT-4 11:23
You are using a quadratic discretization of the displacement field

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月24日 GMT-4 12:02
Hi Nagi,

It fits with the explanation of a quadratic interpolation for the field.

But, I am using Linear interpolation. As to my understanding, the only place where the interpolation order is chosen is on the "Mode Node". I manually had selected the setting on the Model node from "Automatic". i.e. Quadratic to Linear.

In addition, the # DOF does not change for what ever interpolation I select from the Model Node. This means the manual selection is not effective. Where else I can enforce it? I have always been re-building each goemetry and mesh nodes after changing the interpolation.

Best regards,
Kodanda
Hi Nagi, [QUOTE] You are using a quadratic discretization of the displacement field [/QUOTE] It fits with the explanation of a quadratic interpolation for the field. But, I am using Linear interpolation. As to my understanding, the only place where the interpolation order is chosen is on the "Mode Node". I manually had selected the setting on the Model node from "Automatic". i.e. Quadratic to Linear. In addition, the # DOF does not change for what ever interpolation I select from the Model Node. This means the manual selection is not effective. Where else I can enforce it? I have always been re-building each goemetry and mesh nodes after changing the interpolation. Best regards, Kodanda

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月24日 GMT-4 13:04
That one deals with the geometry and it’s not the one you want. The other one is under the “Solid Mechanics” node. There should be a section titled “Discretization”. If you don’t see it, click on the “Show” button in the Model Builder window and toggle ON “Discretization”.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
That one deals with the geometry and it’s not the one you want. The other one is under the “Solid Mechanics” node. There should be a section titled “Discretization”. If you don’t see it, click on the “Show” button in the Model Builder window and toggle ON “Discretization”. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月25日 GMT-4 07:17
Hi Nagi,

That one deals with the geometry and it’s not the one you want. The other one is under the “Solid Mechanics” node. There should be a section titled “Discretization”. If you don’t see it, click on the “Show” button in the Model Builder window and toggle ON “Discretization”.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Thanks for pointing it out.

Best,
Kodanda
Hi Nagi, [QUOTE] That one deals with the geometry and it’s not the one you want. The other one is under the “Solid Mechanics” node. There should be a section titled “Discretization”. If you don’t see it, click on the “Show” button in the Model Builder window and toggle ON “Discretization”. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE] Thanks for pointing it out. Best, Kodanda

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.