Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to input timestep size 'dt' in COMSOL 4.1

Ashok Kumar Nallathambi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Friends,
I am new to this forum.
In my work, i need to give 'dt' as input...which is time step size...b
but i dont know how to input this in comsol...because its not recognizing dt...
please kindly help me...thanks for your time...

3 Replies Last Post 2011年10月12日 GMT-4 01:20
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月11日 GMT-4 16:26
Hi

where do you want to input "dt" ? if it is for the sovler steps you use the "time stepping" field, but by default in "automatic" COMSOL will only take these as guess, and for output interpolation estimation. You need to turn on "strict" time stepping or "intermediate" and give your time steps (or range() limits explicitely) in the solver fields. Check the solver doc, and look carefully at the different solver node entries, all the way to the bottom of the tree ;)

if you need the dt for an integration, define the variable as an extra equation. See the COMSOL KB for examples

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi where do you want to input "dt" ? if it is for the sovler steps you use the "time stepping" field, but by default in "automatic" COMSOL will only take these as guess, and for output interpolation estimation. You need to turn on "strict" time stepping or "intermediate" and give your time steps (or range() limits explicitely) in the solver fields. Check the solver doc, and look carefully at the different solver node entries, all the way to the bottom of the tree ;) if you need the dt for an integration, define the variable as an extra equation. See the COMSOL KB for examples -- Good luck Ivar

Ashok Kumar Nallathambi

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月11日 GMT-4 18:03
Hallo Ivar,
thanks for your immediate and prompt reply.
instead of integrating the dt term, is there any way to input dt in the model...
i am very clear that its not the dt we define in the solver...
most of the time, comsol is taking automatic time stepping...
the dt which is used in the current timestep, i want to substitute in the model...
for eg:to model viscoplastic constitutive laws.....

with regards
ashok
Hallo Ivar, thanks for your immediate and prompt reply. instead of integrating the dt term, is there any way to input dt in the model... i am very clear that its not the dt we define in the solver... most of the time, comsol is taking automatic time stepping... the dt which is used in the current timestep, i want to substitute in the model... for eg:to model viscoplastic constitutive laws..... with regards ashok

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月12日 GMT-4 01:20
Hi

are you sure it's not something like this you are looking for ?

www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1101/

or this one

www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1042/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you sure it's not something like this you are looking for ? http://www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1101/ or this one http://www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1042/ -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.