Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

input 3D polarization into comsol model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am doing a 3D wave optics modeling, and want to use a 3D polarization. For 3D polarization I mean I want to give every point in a 3D domain an arbitrary polarization. Is there anybody who knows how can I input the 3D polarization into comsol model, despite inputting equations?

1 Reply Last Post 2019年1月11日 GMT-5 11:13
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年1月11日 GMT-5 11:13
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年1月11日 GMT-5 11:24

I have the RF module, which is similar to the Wave Optics module. In principle, the software will allow you to specify (via entering equations, as you already noted) a full vector E field as a function of x,y,z under the "initial values" setting for the domain of interest. However, any arbitrary configuration of fields, or of field directions (aka, polarization) may not satisfy Maxwell's equations. So... you might want to re-think your plans here, since presumably you are interested in modeling real-world physics. In most cases, that means imposing user-specified constraints only upon fields, currents, and charges at locations that are limited to what you actually know to be true in the problem of interest to you. You can then allow Comsol Multiphysics to compute the fields everywhere else.

I should add: Check to see if your module supports the wave-scattering formalism. This lets you impose a (initially unperturbed) plane-wave throughout the volume. A common application is radar cross-section work, but that isn't the only application. Also, this isn't truly an "arbitrary" field specification in terms of x,y,z, but even so, you can specify a plane wave (in a fixed direction that you also specify) with "arbitrary polarization." So maybe that is close enough to what you are looking for? Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I have the RF module, which is similar to the Wave Optics module. In principle, the software will allow you to specify (via entering equations, as you already noted) a full vector E field as a function of x,y,z under the "initial values" setting for the domain of interest. However, any *arbitrary* configuration of fields, or of field directions (aka, polarization) may not satisfy Maxwell's equations. So... you might want to re-think your plans here, since presumably you are interested in modeling real-world physics. In most cases, that means imposing user-specified constraints only upon fields, currents, and charges at locations that are limited to what you actually *know* to be true in the problem of interest to you. You can then allow Comsol Multiphysics to *compute* the fields everywhere else. I should add: Check to see if your module supports the wave-scattering formalism. This lets you impose a (initially unperturbed) plane-wave throughout the volume. A common application is radar cross-section work, but that isn't the only application. Also, this isn't truly an "arbitrary" field specification in terms of x,y,z, but even so, you can specify a *plane wave* (in a fixed direction that you also specify) with "arbitrary polarization." So *maybe* that is close enough to what you are looking for? Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.