Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Three phase stator in Comsol 4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone

I am trying to model a three phase stator ring of an induction motor without the rotor in order to solve and visualize the rotating magnetic field set up through three phase power.

My main question is how to make the currents on my multiturn coil domains three phases. I know a phasor needs to be used but where do I insert that information? In the current box of the multiturn coil domains by using 1 *e^wt?
Then the follow up question I have is, in my model so far, do I have the domains of the multiturn coils correct where both "coils" on opposite sides of the stator gets added to one multiturn coil domain?

Then will my model show the flux magnetitude by color and the flux lines produced by the three phase current if I use a time dependent study?

For help I have looked at the generator 2d model for Comsol 3.5a but I do not want to model the rotor and in my model the magnetic field is produced by the three phase current not the rotation of the rotor, thus a "motor".

And if I need to use the rotational machinery physics instead of magnetic field physics, what domain would rotate? The air domain inside the stator, the stator, the domain of the system, etc..?

Thank for your help.
Stephen Doty

5 Replies Last Post 2011年10月6日 GMT-4 08:08

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年9月6日 GMT-4 09:59
Bump..........
I would really love some help.
Thanks.
Stephen Doty
Bump.......... I would really love some help. Thanks. Stephen Doty

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年9月6日 GMT-4 10:00
Oh and I have upgraded to 4.2
Oh and I have upgraded to 4.2

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年9月7日 GMT-4 02:57
Hi!

To visualize a rotating magnetic field you can play with the model I have changed.
I have added some parameters for current and phase shift...
The phasor can be used with frequency domain study as shown. In the player you have to switch to "dynamic data extension", if you want to produce an animated image.

Ralf
Hi! To visualize a rotating magnetic field you can play with the model I have changed. I have added some parameters for current and phase shift... The phasor can be used with frequency domain study as shown. In the player you have to switch to "dynamic data extension", if you want to produce an animated image. Ralf

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年9月8日 GMT-4 05:18
Ralf

Thank you so much for helping me!!!!

I now understand how and where to put the phasor representation of the current for each of the multiturn coil domains. THANK YOU!!! I have been working at that forever..

Now when I change the material of the coil domains to iron without losses instead of the material being just air I get an error that it cannot evaluate a negative power of zero. Why??

How can I make the core of the coil domains iron instead of just air???

Thank you so so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
Stephen Doty
Ralf Thank you so much for helping me!!!! I now understand how and where to put the phasor representation of the current for each of the multiturn coil domains. THANK YOU!!! I have been working at that forever.. Now when I change the material of the coil domains to iron without losses instead of the material being just air I get an error that it cannot evaluate a negative power of zero. Why?? How can I make the core of the coil domains iron instead of just air??? Thank you so so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it. Stephen Doty

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月6日 GMT-4 08:08
Hi!

Sounds like this one:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/acdc-module/thread/21990/

Ralf
Hi! Sounds like this one: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/acdc-module/thread/21990/ Ralf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.