Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convection coefficient and thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have created a 2D axisymmetric model with a substrate and a thin coating at its top.The system cool-down from 560K to 300K with a convective cooling BC.To simulate the residual stresses I use the thermal expansion feature

It's working well but now, I am trying to analyze the effects of convection coefficient on the residual stresses. I have found some papers about ANSYS simulations where a higher convection coefficient to environment creates higher residual stresses.

I have tried with h=8,50 and 200 W/m².K and the residual stresses are the same.

Do you know if it is a feature that COMSOL doesn't take in account?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Alexis

1 Reply Last Post 2011年8月11日 GMT-4 10:53
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月11日 GMT-4 10:53
Changing the convection coefficient changes the temperature distribution in the solid which should change the residual stresses. You should be seeing that in your COMSOL model. The higher convection coefficient leads to higher temperature gradients in the solid (higher Biot number) and that typically causes higher stresses near the surface.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Changing the convection coefficient changes the temperature distribution in the solid which should change the residual stresses. You should be seeing that in your COMSOL model. The higher convection coefficient leads to higher temperature gradients in the solid (higher Biot number) and that typically causes higher stresses near the surface. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.