Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

surface Mesh to solid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello...

i want to ask that i have 3D mesh in stl and Obj format it contain only the surface information.. how can i make it solid model with the also include the volume information.. please any one help me with detail.
i will be very thankful to u

regards Adnan

3 Replies Last Post 2011年8月11日 GMT-4 09:28

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月9日 GMT-4 03:33
Hello Adnan,

I am afraid the file formats you have does not enable Comsol to use the imported geometry as a 3D solid object.

If you have the possibility to export from your CAD system a STEP file, that might help.

/Onur
Hello Adnan, I am afraid the file formats you have does not enable Comsol to use the imported geometry as a 3D solid object. If you have the possibility to export from your CAD system a STEP file, that might help. /Onur

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月9日 GMT-4 04:02
Let me tell you.. all.. used 3D scanner to scan the object it gives me the output of Surface Mesh only in the form of .Obj, .Stl, AutoCAD .dxf, and IGES...

so you me to convert in AutoCAD format ? and from AutoCAD i export STEP file... is it what i understand??
Let me tell you.. all.. used 3D scanner to scan the object it gives me the output of Surface Mesh only in the form of .Obj, .Stl, AutoCAD .dxf, and IGES... so you me to convert in AutoCAD format ? and from AutoCAD i export STEP file... is it what i understand??

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月11日 GMT-4 09:28
Hi Adnan,

Okay, I can see your point now. As far as I can understand, you do not have a CAD system, meaning that your geometry is not created with a drafting software. Since you are scanning instead, the formats you can export may be limited.

I had experiences with Parasolid extensions and STEP files, which will behave like a solid (filled) 3D object, when imported to Comsol. Other than these two, I don't know if the other file formats can help to solve your problem.

You can try, maybe it may be sufficient first to import your scan to a CAD tool and using that software to convert it to a format which Comsol would recognize and treat as a solid 3D object. All I can avdise you is to pay attention to different scales that the software may be using (mm or meters) and the tolerances (or floating point operations for co-ordinates), since it is sometimes the case that, during file conversions the geometry may suffer from lack of accuracy.

/Onur
Hi Adnan, Okay, I can see your point now. As far as I can understand, you do not have a CAD system, meaning that your geometry is not created with a drafting software. Since you are scanning instead, the formats you can export may be limited. I had experiences with Parasolid extensions and STEP files, which will behave like a solid (filled) 3D object, when imported to Comsol. Other than these two, I don't know if the other file formats can help to solve your problem. You can try, maybe it may be sufficient first to import your scan to a CAD tool and using that software to convert it to a format which Comsol would recognize and treat as a solid 3D object. All I can avdise you is to pay attention to different scales that the software may be using (mm or meters) and the tolerances (or floating point operations for co-ordinates), since it is sometimes the case that, during file conversions the geometry may suffer from lack of accuracy. /Onur

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.