Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating Radiation Resistance of Acoustic Medium

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to determine the radiation impedance of acoustic medium (water in this case) for a clamped vibrating membrane in a waveguide. The model is 2D axisymmetric, coupling pressure acoustic (acpr) and solid mechanics (solid). Membrane motion is accomplished by applying pressure and then running a frequency domain study. I am calculating the radiation resistance as real(p/solid.u_tZ) at the solid/medium interface (where solid.u_tZ is the membrane velocity in Z direction). The radiation resistance is also normalized by dividing by the specific impedance of the medium (rho*speed of sound in medium).
The problem is that the resulting value of the normalized radiation resistance appears to be too high (>7) while I was expecting a value less than 1 since the membrane radius is smaller than the waveguide radius.
I have also run this problem assuming a piston in a waveguide and get expected value of <1.
Any insight into this would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Sushil

p.s. I do not have the acoustics module, so I am using acpr from the MEMS module.

3 Replies Last Post 2011年9月23日 GMT-4 11:40
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sushil Bharatan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年9月15日 GMT-4 17:27
I am having the same issue with a driven baffled circular piston in a large baffle. Radiation Resistance and Reactance do not follow the expected trend with frequency and are way too small compared to an analytic solution. I used real(integral(p)/avg(u_tZ)) on piston face. Also used point(u_tZ) and avg(u_tZ) with similar results.

Has anyone successfully extracted acoustic radiation loading?
I am having the same issue with a driven baffled circular piston in a large baffle. Radiation Resistance and Reactance do not follow the expected trend with frequency and are way too small compared to an analytic solution. I used real(integral(p)/avg(u_tZ)) on piston face. Also used point(u_tZ) and avg(u_tZ) with similar results. Has anyone successfully extracted acoustic radiation loading?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年9月19日 GMT-4 11:51
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年9月23日 GMT-4 11:40
Thanks for the upload- helped me debug. The problem was with my analytic solution defining critical dimension as piston radius whereas I intrepreted it as diameter in the model. COMSOL was correct all along for what I gave it.

Got this working in 2D and 3D (1/4 model symmetry for square and circular pistons...attached). Matches analytic solution quite well.
Thanks for the upload- helped me debug. The problem was with my analytic solution defining critical dimension as piston radius whereas I intrepreted it as diameter in the model. COMSOL was correct all along for what I gave it. Got this working in 2D and 3D (1/4 model symmetry for square and circular pistons...attached). Matches analytic solution quite well.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.