Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a transient plane-wave

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have just started learning myself Comsol 4.1. I have earlier experience with version 3.5 , though.

My question relates to time-dependent transient analysis in RF-module. I would like perform a 2D simulation of plane wave scattering, but not in time-harmonic case, instead the incoming plane wave should be Gaussian pulse –like. More or less, I would simulate something like, which is presented in the “Radar Cross Section” tutorial model, but with transient pulse-like excitation. Is this even possible?

The most severe difference seems to be that there are no PML layers available in the time-domain (?). Also, I haven’t figured out how the scattering boundary conditions should work. Let’s say my computational domain is just a rectangle of free space and I want to see a plane-wave pulse passing through the domain. I can give the excitation on one boundary with scattering boundary condition, but what about the other boundaries? Scattering boundary condition with zero excitation would be my best guess, but anyway, the resultant wave seems badly distorted.

Can you tell me what should I do differently? Where I am going wrong, or am I trying to do something that is completely impossible?

Regards,
Henrik

1 Reply Last Post 2012年12月27日 GMT-5 22:43
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Henrik Kettunen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月27日 GMT-5 22:43
Hi,

Have you solved this problem? I meet a similar one these days. Hope that you have figured it out.
Hi, Have you solved this problem? I meet a similar one these days. Hope that you have figured it out.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.