Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh error on a complex geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I am using Comsol 4.1 for about a month.

I have imported a complex geometry from Solidworks to Comsol and would like to have electric field distribution created between a collector (cylindrical) and six nozzles. You could find the geometry picture in the attachment.

When I draw a simpler geometry in Comsol, I suceed for this operation. But when I try to mesh this geometry I get this error: "Free Tetrahedral 1" I guess this error occurs because of the complex geomety. Do I have a chance of a specific mesh for geometries like these? Or any other opinions?

Hope to have your solutions about this problem.

Thanks from now,

Erol

1 Reply Last Post 2011年4月23日 GMT-4 03:23
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月23日 GMT-4 03:23
Hi

meshing such complex geometries is difficult.
You should start to "de-feature" it: remove all small items not really useful for the model, such as bolts, holes, hinges, chamfers, fillets ...
Then check that the remaining volumes of he CAD are touching each other to make common borders

Also if you are doing EC/ES you do not necessarily need the volumes often its enough with the surfaces (depends what you want to model), this could also guide your de-featuring selection.

Then complex parts are often meshed easier if they are split, particularly if you have "loops", often its better to mesh manually when one has many items

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi meshing such complex geometries is difficult. You should start to "de-feature" it: remove all small items not really useful for the model, such as bolts, holes, hinges, chamfers, fillets ... Then check that the remaining volumes of he CAD are touching each other to make common borders Also if you are doing EC/ES you do not necessarily need the volumes often its enough with the surfaces (depends what you want to model), this could also guide your de-featuring selection. Then complex parts are often meshed easier if they are split, particularly if you have "loops", often its better to mesh manually when one has many items -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.