Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PiezoAcoustic Transducer

Anis Nurashikin Nordin

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all!

I am a beginner in COMSOL and need some help in simulating the piezoacoustic transducer. I am using the piezoacoustic tutorial in the acoustics module. I would like to put in an input sound and have a transient voltage output. Can someone help me please?

Thanks!
Anis

4 Replies Last Post 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 06:52
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月7日 GMT-5 01:44
Hi

Try to load the PZT with a small (adapted) force/pressure and do a frequency domain analysis at 1 frequency (no sweep, thats for a 2nd test ;) The frequency domain analysis uses a harmonic development and assumes that you external force is in fact the amplitude of a sinus oscillation of frequency "freq" (the one you enter in the solver node).

there is also a phase term possible, but the default "0" is mostly the right value, note that if you have some damping, you might get complex values out, indicating loss and phase change

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Try to load the PZT with a small (adapted) force/pressure and do a frequency domain analysis at 1 frequency (no sweep, thats for a 2nd test ;) The frequency domain analysis uses a harmonic development and assumes that you external force is in fact the amplitude of a sinus oscillation of frequency "freq" (the one you enter in the solver node). there is also a phase term possible, but the default "0" is mostly the right value, note that if you have some damping, you might get complex values out, indicating loss and phase change -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年7月26日 GMT-4 05:53
Hi Ivar Kjelberg?

The method you mentioned is very useful for me. If I understand correctely, you are using frequency domain analysis by giving a single frequency value each time. In this case, how can I get the transient in the time domain?

As you mentioned, the input signal is the continuous sine wave, if I want to have only single pulse excitation, how can I do it?

Last question, how can I give a impulse excitation and have the impulse response of the transducer?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ivar Kjelberg? The method you mentioned is very useful for me. If I understand correctely, you are using frequency domain analysis by giving a single frequency value each time. In this case, how can I get the transient in the time domain? As you mentioned, the input signal is the continuous sine wave, if I want to have only single pulse excitation, how can I do it? Last question, how can I give a impulse excitation and have the impulse response of the transducer? Thanks in advance!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月16日 GMT-4 11:11
You can run your case in time domain (I did many before). You need to know what boundary you use to couple the sound wave in and you can use SPICE module (in AC/DC) to build network around the PZT to measure the voltage or current on the circuit. Even you can put the PZT into some other media such as liquid (water?) then couple the acoustic wave into the liquid. The measurement circuit will pick up the PZT responses if everything is setup correctly. It should not be that complicated but you have to think through the case and pay attention to the details to get a right result.
You can run your case in time domain (I did many before). You need to know what boundary you use to couple the sound wave in and you can use SPICE module (in AC/DC) to build network around the PZT to measure the voltage or current on the circuit. Even you can put the PZT into some other media such as liquid (water?) then couple the acoustic wave into the liquid. The measurement circuit will pick up the PZT responses if everything is setup correctly. It should not be that complicated but you have to think through the case and pay attention to the details to get a right result.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 06:52

Hello Jinsong Zhao,
Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I am trying to achieve something similar to what has been asked and what you replied. I have a piezotransducer coupled with water and another piezo should pick up the sound waves transmitted over water and generate the response. However I am unable to input an AC voltage into the first driving piezo. It would be incorrect to study with a constant voltage (100V- dc?!) - right??
Could you please provide an example. I am following the piezoacoustic transducer example on comsol 4.2a tutorial. replacing air with water and adding another piezo.

Please tell me a way to input ac voltage. and study the recieved presure as current response on the recieving piezo transducer.

I would be glad if anyone could help.

Thanks,
Megha
[QUOTE] You can run your case in time domain (I did many before). You need to know what boundary you use to couple the sound wave in and you can use SPICE module (in AC/DC) to build network around the PZT to measure the voltage or current on the circuit. Even you can put the PZT into some other media such as liquid (water?) then couple the acoustic wave into the liquid. The measurement circuit will pick up the PZT responses if everything is setup correctly. It should not be that complicated but you have to think through the case and pay attention to the details to get a right result. [/QUOTE] Hello Jinsong Zhao, Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I am trying to achieve something similar to what has been asked and what you replied. I have a piezotransducer coupled with water and another piezo should pick up the sound waves transmitted over water and generate the response. However I am unable to input an AC voltage into the first driving piezo. It would be incorrect to study with a constant voltage (100V- dc?!) - right?? Could you please provide an example. I am following the piezoacoustic transducer example on comsol 4.2a tutorial. replacing air with water and adding another piezo. Please tell me a way to input ac voltage. and study the recieved presure as current response on the recieving piezo transducer. I would be glad if anyone could help. Thanks, Megha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.