Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

unable to plot centerline velocity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to plot the centerline velocity (velocity when 0<x<10mm & y=0, z=0) for the attached file. I am not able to upload the solved problem due to its large size.

I am wondering if someone can help me plot the above graph.

I tried to plot it using 1D plot and a line option but it is not working. I even tried the 2D plot but even that is not working.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Sirisha

5 Replies Last Post 2011年1月17日 GMT-5 02:33
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月15日 GMT-5 16:41
Hi

you are in 3D so you need a Data Sets - Cut Line 3D (and not 1D), then you make a 1D plot from the Cut Line source and it should go

Another comment, particularly in cfd its important to have initial conditions close to the results, to help the solver. You haved all initial conditions at default "0". But you could as well set the parabolic velocity field here too and a first pressure drop along your pipe (using Poiseuille law)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are in 3D so you need a Data Sets - Cut Line 3D (and not 1D), then you make a 1D plot from the Cut Line source and it should go Another comment, particularly in cfd its important to have initial conditions close to the results, to help the solver. You haved all initial conditions at default "0". But you could as well set the parabolic velocity field here too and a first pressure drop along your pipe (using Poiseuille law) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月15日 GMT-5 20:00
Thanks Ivar .......both for the solution on how to plot and for the tip about initial conditions.

Sirisha
Thanks Ivar .......both for the solution on how to plot and for the tip about initial conditions. Sirisha

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月16日 GMT-5 04:30
Hi

for the solution right click Data set selelct 3D cut line (and define your 2 points)

in result plot, right click and select 1D plot, in the 1D plot window, , top, select solution 3D cut line. Right click 1D plot and select line plot

for the initial conditions, copy your inflow velocity profile of the type
(note Q [m^3/s]=v0[m/s]/SectionArea[m^2])=v0[m/s]/(pi*(R[m])^2)

v0[m/s]*2*(1-(x^2+y^2)/R_tube[m]^2)

or define a cylindrical (i.e.sys2) coordinate system along the tube and use the formula

v0[m/s]*2*(1-(sys2.r/R_tube[m])^2)

Where R_tube is the interiour tube radius, defined either as a parameter , or calculated with a line integration

check the output you should have about 2*v0 on axis, 0 on the non slip walls (this works also approx. for an elliptical tube shape, or you elaborate the formula further)

Then for the Poiseille law pressure drop it states (see i.e. wiki en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poiseuille) for the visuosity "mu"

Dp[Pa] = 8*mu[Pa*s]*V0[m/s]/(Radius[m])^2*Length[m]

carefull with the max and average velocity, but even if you are a factor 2 off, it's mostly better than all "0" (except if you inverse the sign ;)

Then you need to replace , in the initial conditions "Length" by (for a pipe of axis aong Z, change if different)

Dp[Pa](z) = 1*8*mu[Pa*s]*V0[m/s]/(Radius[m])^2*Length[m]*(1-z/Total_length)

And get the sign, correct.
For that it's always good to start to ask COMSOL to "get the initial values" by a right-click on Solver - Dependent variable - Compute to selected. Then you can make the plots of the initial conditions

But all this is plain Physics, it's not my jo to train your for that, or ?.
For me that is the main reason of using COMSOL ...

PS: pls check carefully my formulas, as typos are quickly done

Have fun Comsoling

Ivar
Hi for the solution right click Data set selelct 3D cut line (and define your 2 points) in result plot, right click and select 1D plot, in the 1D plot window, , top, select solution 3D cut line. Right click 1D plot and select line plot for the initial conditions, copy your inflow velocity profile of the type (note Q [m^3/s]=v0[m/s]/SectionArea[m^2])=v0[m/s]/(pi*(R[m])^2) v0[m/s]*2*(1-(x^2+y^2)/R_tube[m]^2) or define a cylindrical (i.e.sys2) coordinate system along the tube and use the formula v0[m/s]*2*(1-(sys2.r/R_tube[m])^2) Where R_tube is the interiour tube radius, defined either as a parameter , or calculated with a line integration check the output you should have about 2*v0 on axis, 0 on the non slip walls (this works also approx. for an elliptical tube shape, or you elaborate the formula further) Then for the Poiseille law pressure drop it states (see i.e. wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poiseuille) for the visuosity "mu" Dp[Pa] = 8*mu[Pa*s]*V0[m/s]/(Radius[m])^2*Length[m] carefull with the max and average velocity, but even if you are a factor 2 off, it's mostly better than all "0" (except if you inverse the sign ;) Then you need to replace , in the initial conditions "Length" by (for a pipe of axis aong Z, change if different) Dp[Pa](z) = 1*8*mu[Pa*s]*V0[m/s]/(Radius[m])^2*Length[m]*(1-z/Total_length) And get the sign, correct. For that it's always good to start to ask COMSOL to "get the initial values" by a right-click on Solver - Dependent variable - Compute to selected. Then you can make the plots of the initial conditions But all this is plain Physics, it's not my jo to train your for that, or ?. For me that is the main reason of using COMSOL ... PS: pls check carefully my formulas, as typos are quickly done Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月17日 GMT-5 01:25
Ivar,

I mentioned thanks for letting me know about how to plot the 3D velocity and also for giving me the tip of setting the initial values = inlet condition:)

I am not sure why you explained it in so much detail. I am sorry if my earlier reply was a bit confusing. I was just conveying my thanks!

Anyway .... thanks once again
sirisha
Ivar, I mentioned thanks for letting me know about how to plot the 3D velocity and also for giving me the tip of setting the initial values = inlet condition:) I am not sure why you explained it in so much detail. I am sorry if my earlier reply was a bit confusing. I was just conveying my thanks! Anyway .... thanks once again sirisha

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年1月17日 GMT-5 02:33
Hi

well with the details, you, and other can probably better understand the idea, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well with the details, you, and other can probably better understand the idea, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.