Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact with friction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

So I'm trying to model a block sliding on a flat surface with friction.

My setup includes:
a) a block that is .1m tall, 2m wide and 10m long
b) a block that is .1m tall, 1m wide and .75m long

Configuration:
block b is sitting on top of and at the edge of block a.
(there is a .01m distance between the surfaces so that the two blocks do not form a union)

Constraints (structural mechanics):
I applied a fixed constraint to block a
I have the two blocks set up as a contact pair, and have a contact pair constraint set with dynamic friction
I have a boundary load applied to the side of block b that is intended to push it along the length of block a
I have a boundary load applied to the top of block b to assert a gravitational force
I have the materials set as 1018 steel
I have a finer mesh on block a

Here are the problems I'm having:
- the displacement of block b doesn't change as the dynamic friction coefficient is increased.
- block b seems to be protruding through the contact surface of block a

Thanks for any tips or suggestions !

andrew

2 Replies Last Post 2012年3月24日 GMT-4 13:52
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月16日 GMT-5 02:18
Hi

there was a nice documented model in 3.5a, do not know if it's ported to v4 yet but probably you scould find your answers therein

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there was a nice documented model in 3.5a, do not know if it's ported to v4 yet but probably you scould find your answers therein -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月24日 GMT-4 13:52
Hi Ivar,

Whats the name of that model? Is it accessible for 4.2a?

Thanks
Hi Ivar, Whats the name of that model? Is it accessible for 4.2a? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.