Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotation Array

Jose Martinez-Quijada

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks

I'm creating a 2D geometry in version 4.0a of a structure with identiacal radial features. The 'Array' function can only make two-dimentional or one-dimensional (linear) arrays, but there is no rotation function that can copy a feature a number of times or at specified angle steps around a defined point. I can copy the feature several times and add a 'Rotate' node for each. This becomes enormously cumbersome when making many radial copies, and the number of copies and rotation angle can't be parametrized.

Does anybody know how to do this kind of rotation arrays ?. I think this is a very basic drawing function missing in COMSOL that should be included in the next version.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies Last Post 2010年11月18日 GMT-5 01:29
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月16日 GMT-5 23:51
Hi

I fully agree with you, I have already sent this request as a suggestion to "support", so if we are several it might arrive quicker ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I fully agree with you, I have already sent this request as a suggestion to "support", so if we are several it might arrive quicker ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月17日 GMT-5 02:55
Hi,

You can do this in version 4.1: Add a Rotate node (right-click the Geometry node and select Transforms>Rotate). Then select the object for which you want to create copies that are rotated. You do this by entering a range of angles in the Rotation edit field using the Range function or as space- or comma-separated values. For example,

range(0,45,315)

gives seven rotated copies with an angle of 45 degrees that together with the original object are equally positioned in a full 360-degree rotation.

Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, You can do this in version 4.1: Add a Rotate node (right-click the Geometry node and select Transforms>Rotate). Then select the object for which you want to create copies that are rotated. You do this by entering a range of angles in the Rotation edit field using the Range function or as space- or comma-separated values. For example, range(0,45,315) gives seven rotated copies with an angle of 45 degrees that together with the original object are equally positioned in a full 360-degree rotation. Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月18日 GMT-5 01:29
Hi Magnus

great thanks for a very usefull info
but what if you put some [ ] or {} around these fields accepting ranges, they are difficult to locate, and ideally (as you request for matlab functions) almost all COMSOL GUI fields SHOULD accept ranges/sets, no ?

Today there are really only a few

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Magnus great thanks for a very usefull info but what if you put some [ ] or {} around these fields accepting ranges, they are difficult to locate, and ideally (as you request for matlab functions) almost all COMSOL GUI fields SHOULD accept ranges/sets, no ? Today there are really only a few -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.