Importing a file from AutoCAD to COMSOL

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   16 Replies   Last post: January 24, 2013 1:04pm UTC
Nithin

Nithin

January 21, 2013 8:35am UTC

Importing a file from AutoCAD to COMSOL

I have created a 3D building model on AutoCAD and wish to import it to COMSOL for CFD analysis. Can I know the process for importing?

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

January 21, 2013 10:22am UTC in response to Nithin

Re: Importing a file from AutoCAD to COMSOL

Hi

if you have the CAD interface, you can lopen the file in autocad or paraSoid, or STEP or .. format, check the main web site for the CAD file formats. For V4 you have the livelink approach too

--
Good luck
Ivar

Nithin

Nithin

January 21, 2013 10:44am UTC in response to Ivar Kjelberg

Hi

if you have the CAD interface, you can lopen the file in autocad or paraSoid, or STEP or .. format, check the main web site for the CAD file formats. For V4 you have the livelink approach too

--
Good luck
Ivar

Sir,

AutoCAD 2010 is showing options for exporting files in .dwf, .dwfx, .sat, .stl, .eps, .dxx, .bmp, .dwg and .bgn. I am not able to find any compatible extensions for COMSOL. Can you help me out please??

Nagi Elabbasi

Nagi Elabbasi
Certified Consultant
Veryst Engineering

January 21, 2013 2:07pm UTC in response to Nithin

Nithin,

I don’t think any of the basic AutoCAD export formats are suitable. You need Autodesk Inventor instead which exports to IGES, STEP and Parasolid formats.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Nithin

Nithin

January 21, 2013 3:33pm UTC in response to Nagi Elabbasi

Nithin,

I don’t think any of the basic AutoCAD export formats are suitable. You need Autodesk Inventor instead which exports to IGES, STEP and Parasolid formats.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Sir,

For using Autodesk Inventor, should I create my model again on Inventor or is there any method for exporting my AutoCAD model to Inventor so that I can get IGES or STEP format files.

Nagi Elabbasi

Nagi Elabbasi
Certified Consultant
Veryst Engineering

January 21, 2013 3:39pm UTC in response to Nithin

I believe Inventor can import AutoCAD models.

Nithin

Nithin

January 21, 2013 3:46pm UTC in response to Nagi Elabbasi

I believe Inventor can import AutoCAD models.

Thank you sir, I request you to answer one more query of mine.
Since, we have Pro-E in availability, is it okay if I export my AutoCAD file to Pro-E and import it in COMSOL's requirements. Or, is there any specific process I have to follow that I should use only Inventor?

And, I came to know that we can export .dwg files from AutoCAD directly to COMSOL using LiveLink, is it possible? Where can I get LiveLink from??

Nagi Elabbasi

Nagi Elabbasi
Certified Consultant
Veryst Engineering

January 21, 2013 4:10pm UTC in response to Nithin

Yes if you have Pro-E or other programs like SolidWorks I believe they can import AutoCAD models as well, and export them in formats suitable for COMSOL. The LiveLink for AutoCAD product as you noted is another option. It is developed by COMSOL.

Nithin

Nithin

January 21, 2013 4:28pm UTC in response to Nagi Elabbasi

Yes if you have Pro-E or other programs like SolidWorks I believe they can import AutoCAD models as well, and export them in formats suitable for COMSOL. The LiveLink for AutoCAD product as you noted is another option. It is developed by COMSOL.

Is there any LiveLink extension exist with COMSOL 3.4, sir??

Nagi Elabbasi

Nagi Elabbasi
Certified Consultant
Veryst Engineering

January 21, 2013 4:51pm UTC in response to Nithin

I don't think so.

Nithin

Nithin

January 23, 2013 8:37am UTC in response to Nagi Elabbasi

Sir...

I was trying to open 3D dwg file in Autodesk Inventor for exporting it to COMSOL. But, I am not able to get my whole drawing in the inventor part mode. Can I know what is the reason for that? Help me out with the way for changing a 3d dwg file to a COMSOL 3.4 compatible file through inventor without loosing any data, please.

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

January 23, 2013 6:02pm UTC in response to Nithin

Hi

if I remeber well 3.4 & 3.5 accepted only dxf files from Inventor for 2D, there were some way to extrude 2D to 3D if I remeber correctly.

You are better off with a newer COMSOl version, but I do understand that everyone cannot purchase newer version, Ech 5 years it's worth to get a newer version, this also corresponds to the amount you would pay for standard maintenance, therefore, managers do always "save money" by omitting maitenance contracts for such programmes

--
Good luck
Ivar

Nithin

Nithin

January 24, 2013 2:48am UTC in response to Ivar Kjelberg

Hi

if I remeber well 3.4 & 3.5 accepted only dxf files from Inventor for 2D, there were some way to extrude 2D to 3D if I remeber correctly.

You are better off with a newer COMSOl version, but I do understand that everyone cannot purchase newer version, Ech 5 years it's worth to get a newer version, this also corresponds to the amount you would pay for standard maintenance, therefore, managers do always "save money" by omitting maitenance contracts for such programmes

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank You Ivar.. I have got the license for COMSOL 4.3a but I was unable to find any option to import a 3d dwg file into it. Can you let me know the procedure for importing a 3d dwg file in COMSOL 4.3a? I am in need of a direct import to COMSOL 4.3a since the the Inventor is not able to read my dwg file and is not displaying as expected.

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

January 24, 2013 6:44am UTC in response to Nithin

Hi

I'm not sure as I do not use dwg files, I do not like the dxf/dwg format as in the early days they was really not very stable and topology compatible (but they were of the first to be openly accessed, therefore their popularity). I prefer to dump my files into a more stable 3D format such as STEP, or some of the proprietary Parasolid, ACIS ...

Can you save your file as a STEP ? try that

--
Good luck
Ivar

Nithin

Nithin

January 24, 2013 8:25am UTC in response to Ivar Kjelberg

Hi

I'm not sure as I do not use dwg files, I do not like the dxf/dwg format as in the early days they was really not very stable and topology compatible (but they were of the first to be openly accessed, therefore their popularity). I prefer to dump my files into a more stable 3D format such as STEP, or some of the proprietary Parasolid, ACIS ...

Can you save your file as a STEP ? try that

--
Good luck
Ivar

Sir,

I can see only dwf, dwfx, wmf, sat, stl, eps, bmp, dxf, dgn, dxx for exporting my 3d dwg file from AutoCAD 2010. Can you help me out which one I can use for opening in COMSOL 4.3a??

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

January 24, 2013 10:42am UTC in response to Nithin

Hi

I can import, with the CAD tool on CM4.3 STEP, Parasolid, STEP, pro/E Catia, Iges ... and other, so fro your list I would try with "sat"

get the "import" node into the geometry section and look at the files extension it accepts to open

--
Good luck
Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi

Nagi Elabbasi
Certified Consultant
Veryst Engineering

January 24, 2013 1:04pm UTC in response to Ivar Kjelberg

If you can, get LiveLink for AutoCAD from COMSOL. I believe it imports DXF directly.

Rules and guidelines